For a variety of reasons, vaping is growing in popularity every year. Not only are pocket vaporizers used as a tool for tobacco smoking cessation, many people enjoy the sensation of inhaling the flavored vapor.
Naturally, the rising popularity of both vaping and Kratom has led many people to ask if it is possible to vape Kratom. To help clear things up, we are going to go over everything you need to know about vaporizing Kratom. We will explain whether or not it is possible, as well as go over the many advantages and disadvantages of doing so. From there, we will even explore where vaping Kratom stands from a safety perspective.
If you have questions about vaping Kratom, you have come to the right place!
- What is Vaping?
- Why Is Vaping So Popular?
- What is Herbal Vaping?
- So, Can You Vaporize Kratom?
- Vaporizing Kratom Using Liquid Pods
- Vaporizing Kratom Using an Herbal Vaporizer
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Vaping Kratom
- Should You Vape Kratom?
- The Bottom Line
What is Vaping?
A vaporizer, or electronic cigarette, is a small device that heats up a liquid to create a vapor that can be inhaled for flavor and as a delivery device for various substances, including nicotine, marijuana, and more.
Most liquid vaporizers use a small battery to power a heating element or atomizer. The person using the vaporizer would then use a mouthpiece to inhale the vapor. The vapor results from heating the flavored cartridge, which is often known as a pod or liquid reservoir. These liquid solutions contain various flavors, differing amounts of nicotine, and a variety of other chemicals and substances.
Why Is Vaping So Popular?
Aside from the fact that vaporizers are convenient, affordable, and even trendy, many people claim that vaping is a healthy alternative to smoking.
Unlike traditional forms of smoking, where plant matter is rolled in paper or placed in a pipe so it can be burned and inhaled using a flame, vaporizers heat plant matter and other substances at a lower temperature, so it will not burn and combust. As the name suggests, vaping involves inhaling vapor, rather than smoke, which is supposed to be less damaging to the lungs and throat.
What is Herbal Vaping?
Herbal vaping, or dry herb vaping, is slightly different from typical liquid vaping. Essentially, herbal vaporizers work by heating up dry plant materials, like cannabis, rather than pre-packaged liquid pods, so the chemicals within that plant material can be inhaled in the form of a vapor.
While these devices work in different ways, the main goal is always to use heat to extract chemicals within the plant material, without causing combustion, which would result in the user inhaling smoke.
So, Can You Vaporize Kratom?
While the short answer is yes, Kratom can be vaporized, there is more you should understand before you start shopping for Kratom vape juice.
Liquid vape pods that contain Kratom extracts are available, and it is also possible to vaporize Kratom powder using a herbal vaporizer. But in both cases, there are issues relating to quality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
Vaporizing Kratom Using Liquid Pods
Vaping Kratom using a liquid vape pen involves purchasing flavor pods that contain a Kratom extract. In most cases, the quality and content of the Kratom used in these liquid pods is questionable.
Not only is the quality and volume of the Kratom used in these liquid pods difficult to verify, but most manufacturers also add a variety of different substances to enhance the taste, smell, and color of the vapor. They also add various chemicals to help with preservation and the actual vaporization process.
Vaporizing Kratom Using an Herbal Vaporizer
While just vaporizing dried Kratom means you do not have to worry about unhealthy and unnecessary additives, it is not a perfect solution. For starters, it is difficult to tell if you are getting all of the benefits from the Kratom when it is consumed as a vapor.
Then, there are issues relating to the way the vapor enters your bloodstream. When Kratom is inhaled in the form of a vapor, it is absorbed into the bloodstream almost instantly through the lungs. This process speeds up the effects and can make it difficult to enjoy Kratom’s benefits in a relaxing way.
On the other hand, when Kratom is consumed directly, such as in the form of powder, as a Kratom tea or in a capsule, the effects occur at a more controlled and enjoyable pace. There are also issues relating to the way vaporized Kratom is absorbed into the body, since the temperatures required to vaporize Kratom can impact the alkaloid content.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Vaping Kratom
Now that you know it is technically possible to vaporize Kratom, we can go over some of the advantages and disadvantages of consuming it this way. This will help you decide if you should consider vaping Kratom, or stick to some of the more traditional ways of ingesting it.
Advantages of Vaping Kratom:
- Vaping substances is an incredibly fast process. Vaporizers are designed for speed and convenience, so it is no surprise that vaporizing Kratom is one of the fastest ways to consume the substance.
- Vaping can be used as a tool to quit smoking, as it can mimic the sensation of holding and smoking a cigarette. While it is certainly not necessary to use Kratom when you are vaping for tobacco smoking cessation reasons, some find that it helps.
- For some, just the sensation of vaping can be psychologically satisfying, as the process of slowly inhaling and exhaling vapor can be relaxing. Again, it is not necessary to use Kratom powders and extracts to experience this sensation, but an argument could be made that it is a benefit of vaping Kratom.
- Vaping Kratom has extremely quick results. As mentioned previously, when you vape Kratom, the active ingredients, meaning the alkaloids, enter your bloodstream extremely quickly. Since the vapor bypasses the digestive system, the alkaloids that produce the various effects of Kratom hit your brain receptors fast. For some, this quick reaction is desirable; however, it can be a detriment for some, as it makes it difficult to have a controlled experience.
Disadvantages of Vaping Kratom:
- Vaping Kratom has been shown to result in a reduction of potency levels compared to more traditional ways of consuming the substance. Even though vaporizers are designed to stop short of actual combustion, there are always issues relating to the alkaloid profile when Kratom is exposed to the high heats required for vaporization.
- Kratom vapor pods contain a variety of substances other than just Kratom extracts. While some of these additives are relatively harmless, it is difficult to know whether or not they will interact with the Kratom in a negative way, or present health concerns on their own. The fact that the manufacturing of Kratom vape pods is not regulated means there will always be health concerns. In most cases, you are better off choosing pure Kratom, rather than a product that contains Kratom extracts and a variety of other ingredients, like preservatives, artificial flavorings, and other additives and impurities.
- There are issues relating to quality and origin when you purchase Kratom in the form of a vape pod. Since the Kratom used for vape pods is heavily processed, it is difficult to know when and where it was grown, what strain it was sourced from, and how the overall quality of the Kratom stacks up.
- Kratom vape pods tend to be very expensive and are relatively difficult to find. Unlike Kratom powders and capsules, which can be found from a variety of reputable vendors, Kratom vape pods are not carried by many Kratom sellers. In many ways, it is far more cost-effective to purchase pure Kratom powder.
Should You Vape Kratom?
While there is certainly an element of personal preference and you are free to try vaping Kratom if it appeals to you, we would sum up vaping Kratom by simply stating that the disadvantages outweigh the potential advantages.
While vaporized Kratom enters the bloodstream quickly and could theoretically bring about the therapeutic effects much faster than other consumption methods, this can be problematic for controlling the effects. When Kratom does not go through the digestive system, it is much more difficult to control the experience. Vaporized Kratom enters the bloodstream immediately, which can make the experience somewhat unenjoyable. Essentially, it makes it very easy to consume too much, which can make you feel sick.
Then, of course, there are issues with quality control when purchasing vape pods that contain Kratom extracts. Not only are these pods expensive, but it can also be extremely difficult to find high-quality Kratom vape products.
There are also issues concerning the temperatures that vaporizers operate at, as these high temperatures can impact the potency and alter the alkaloid profile of the Kratom. This partially explains why vaporizing Kratom has not quite caught on in the same ways that cannabis and nicotine vape products have.
The Bottom Line
While Kratom offers a variety of medicinal and therapeutic benefits, vaping is not the best way to deliver those benefits. Not only is vaping Kratom usually less effective than traditional consumption methods, vaporizing Kratom can disrupt the alkaloid profile and impact potency.
If you are interested in the many benefits that Kratom can offer, we highly recommend sticking to plain powder, tea and capsules that are made with pure Kratom powder. As always, you should take the time to do your own research and make sure that you are purchasing your Kratom from reputable vendors.
Founder of Kratom IQ; a self-improvement junkie and Kratom enthusiast. I started this website in 2015 to help people avoid the common pitfalls and mistakes with Mitragyna Speciosa, and ultimately get the most out of this amazing plant. Learn More…