If you usually purchase Kratom in person rather than online, you have probably come across the OPMS brand at some point. Their Kratom products are widely available at head shops and other specialty stores throughout the United States.
To help you decide if their products are worth trying, in this OPMS review we will take a close look what they have to offer.
What is OPMS Kratom?
OPMS is an acronym that stands for Optimized Plant Mediated Solutions. The brand was founded in Atlanta, Georgia, in 2009, making it one of the oldest continuously operating Kratom brands in the United States.
Their head office has since moved to Los Angeles, California, and their Kratom products are now available in every state where Kratom is sold legally. Their range also includes products with Kava, a substance with similarities to Kratom but some differences. Typically, they sell their relatively small line of Kratom products for resale in brick-and-mortar stores; however, limited amounts of their products are sometimes available through online retailers.
Overview of OPMS Products
Even though OPMS has been on the American Kratom market for a relatively long period, their product line is fairly limited in terms of variety. Their Kratom products are available in the form of capsules, liquid concentrates and powders. While they sell Kratom in three separate forms, these products are only available in a limited variety of strains.
The OPMS product line is as follows:
Their OPMS Silver products are available in powders and capsules and tend to be amongst the most affordable items in their product lineup, which explains why they are also the brand’s highest sellers. In this range, they do you the service of actually telling you what strain you buying. They offer Green Vein Maeng Da, Red Vein Maeng Da, Green Vein Thai, Green Vein Malay, Red Vein Sumatra, White Vein Indo, and Super Green Borneo. This is a modest variety of popular strains but not a particularly wide selection in comparison with good online vendors.
They also sell a Special Reserve variety of their Silver products, but it is difficult to know what that means or where it comes from.
According to OPMS, their Gold category is their premium product line. These products are 50:1 extracted Kratom in capsule form and come packaged in several different counts (find out how extract grading works here). The capsules feature a purple leaf emblem to make it easier to identify these supposedly premium Kratom products.
While OPMS Gold products feature eye-catching packaging, it is difficult to tell what makes them such a premium product. It does not appear that the products go through any specialized manufacturing process, nor is it clear that they contain ingredients that are any different from a typical Kratom capsule. There is limited information available about the Kratom strain used or how it is harvested.
The same can be said for the OPMS Black range. These appear to be higher dose versions of the Gold products (310mg per capsules instead of 200mg). They still don’t tell you what strain you are buying.
The OPMS Gold and Black range also include liquid extracts which are essentially highly concentrated Kratom shots. They are available in unique, hourglass-shaped 8mL bottles and sold in bulk packages, but they are still fairly expensive.
OPMS Kava Extracts
In addition to Kratom products, OPMS also sells a selection of Kava extracts. The extracts also come in capsule form. While these extracts are marketed as anti-anxiety supplements, there is very little information about where the Kava is sourced from.
OPMS Brand Review
Now that you know a little bit more about OPMS and their products, we can get into our overall impression of the brand.
While the longevity of OPMS points to the fact that they are a legitimate Kratom brand, we have some issues with their products. For starters, they are surprisingly limited in terms of variety. While they offer Kratom powders and capsules in different strains, at least under their Silver line, the range is still limited.
Where online brands like Happy Hippo Herbals and Kraken Kratom offer every strain and variety of Kratom you could ever want, OPMS products tend to stay within only a handful of strains. This limitation presents issues for consumers looking for a specific effect from a certain strain, who want to alternate strains in order to take Kratom regularly, or who prefer to purchase a product specifically tailored to their needs.
We would also prefer if they were more specific about where they source their Kratom and Kava. Some of the products in its Silver line list the strain, but it is difficult to know where the Kava leaves were grown or how they were harvested. Other brands tend to be much clearer on the origins of their Kratom, which is useful information from the consumer’s perspective. After all, the consumer should know what they are paying for. The Gold and Liquid Extract products are particularly vague, not even bothering to mention what strain you are buying. This is actually really bad and surprising since OPMS markets them as premium Kratom products.
Then there are issues relating to cost. While it is possible to buy some of their products in bulk, they still end up being relatively expensive. This is because you cannot buy from the company directly unless you are a brick-and-mortar store.
Again, this is why it is difficult to find their products online. Having to purchase Kratom from resellers rather than directly through the manufacturer means you are almost always stuck paying higher prices for a marked-up product.
If you prefer the convenience of walking directly into a local store and purchase a conveniently packaged Kratom product, OPMS might be right for you. That said, the lack of strains, vagueness of product origins, inflated prices, and inability to buy direct make it difficult for us to recommend the OPMS brand.
Best OPMS Kratom Alternatives
We’ve been critical of OPMS but given what we’ve said, check out this year’s best Kratom vendors below and make the comparison yourself. Like OPMS, these vendors are certified members of the American Kratom Association. They have their Kratom lab-tests verified by 3rd party auditors and their production facilities routinely inspected to ensure they are adhering to strict GMP standards.
1. Happy Hippo Herbals
Happy Hippo have a much wider selection of strains, an easy online shopping experience and customers report much higher potency of their Kratom powders than most brands.
Use coupon code KRATOMIQ for 15% Off!
2. Kraken Kratom
Kraken Kratom were the first member to be awarded certified status with the AKA and continue to show a commitment to health and safety standards. They provide mid-tier pricing and free shipping as standard.
3. Super Speciosa
For larger orders, Super Speciosa are a great option due to their higher volume discounts. Consider this option if you know what strains you like and want to stock up.
OPMS Pros and Cons
- Membership in the American Kratom Association – OPMS is listed as a platinum-level member of the American Kratom Association and audited to maintain their Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) status. Given that the American Kratom Association helps advocate for the Kratom community by fighting misinformation, OPMS’s membership is appreciated and worth noting.
- Longevity – As mentioned above, the brand has been around for a long time, a testament to its appeal. Given that Kratom products are relatively new to the American market, it is impressive when a brand has been around for over a decade.
- Legitimate Products – While there are questions regarding origin and harvesting methods, the truth is, OPMS does offer legitimate Kratom products. Their products contain real Kratom that will have a real effect when taken.
- Products are Available in Stores – While many consumers prefer to purchase their Kratom products online, there is still a market for those who prefer to make their Kratom purchases in-person at a physical store. The fact that OPMS sells its products to stores is appealing to those that prefer the brick-and-mortar experience.
- Cost – As discussed above, OPMS products are expensive compared to Kratom and Kava products that you can purchase elsewhere. They do not sell to individual consumers directly. Having to purchase from a reseller means you pay a middle man and get stuck with unnecessary costs.
- They Do Not Always List Accurate Strain Information – Unlike other brands, many products under the OPMS brand do not specifically list the exact strain of Kratom you are purchasing. Marketing terms, like Special Reserve, are not helpful, especially for those looking for a strain for its specific effects.
- Limited Strains – Even when OPMS does specifically list the Kratom strain a product contains, their offerings are very limited. As mentioned above, they only really carry a handful of strains, which is not enough to have OPMS as your only source if you’re a regular user.
- Many of Their Products are Extracts – We are generally not big fans of Kratom extracts, as they make it difficult to measure doses properly, which is especially troubling for those that are new to Kratom. Extracts can also increase your tolerance to undesirable levels, which means you will need to take even more Kratom in the future to experience the desired effects. Some would also argue that is the likes of these Kratom “shots” and other extracted products that portray Kratom in a bad way and do little for its fragile legal status.
Before you purchase any Kratom product, it is always important to do your research. You want to make sure that you are purchasing a high-quality product from a reputable vendor. One of the major appeals of Kratom over other botanical supplements is the fact that you can choose specific strains. Unfortunately, the OPMS brand is fairly limited in terms of strain availability.
While the brand does have its appeals, such as its longevity and widespread availability, we would prefer if their strain and source information was more detailed. We would also prefer if the brand offered more variety and backed up some of its product’s claims.
Being able to buy direct would decrease the costs for individual consumers, but it seems their company is more focused on selling to resellers.
Overall, it is an acceptable brand, but one we would probably not recommend to others. For another brand available online and in stores, check out PurKratom.