While Kratom is less mainstream than marijuana, awareness about this beneficial substance is rapidly growing, as is its popularity. Meanwhile, an estimated 50 percent of the adult population in the United States has tried marijuana at some point in their life. With the spread of legalization of both substances, there is a high probability of crossover between Kratom and marijuana use.
Whether you use Kratom, medical marijuana or CBD oil for pain, or you eat gummies and extracts for recreational purposes, it makes sense to determine whether or not it is a good idea to mix marijuana with Kratom.
We will explain the different effects Kratom and marijuana have on the body and mind and explain what happens when the two are combined. Not only will we explain the potential side effects of combining Kratom and marijuana, but we will also get into the possible benefits of combining the two substances.
- How Does Ingesting Marijuana Affect the Body and Mind?
- How Does Kratom Use Affect the Body and Mind?
- What Happens When You Combine Marijuana and Kratom?
- The Importance of Choosing the Right Doses, Strains, and More
- So, Is it Worth Combing the Two?
How Does Ingesting Marijuana Affect the Body and Mind?
Consuming marijuana or cannabis can have many effects on the body and mind. Depending on the strain, quality, dose, and the cannabis product, marijuana can affect the body and mind in the following ways:
- A sense of general euphoria
- Heightened senses (taste, smell, etc.)
- Stress and anxiety reduction
- Pain relief, especially chronic pain
- Heightened creativity
- Nausea relief
Potential Side Effects and Negative Consequences
- Dry mouth
- Increased hunger and cravings for specific types of food
- Temporary memory loss and brain fog
- Reduced reaction time
- Paranoia and anxiety
- Bloodshot eyes
- Heavy coughing (only when smoked or vaporized, rather than eaten)
There are plenty of reasons to be drawn to marijuana, whether for medicinal, therapeutic, or recreational use, since it offers a variety of desirable effects. With that said, some people find that the side effects can be disruptive, so it is important to make sure that those negative effects don’t interfere with the desirable effects of Kratom.
How Does Kratom Use Affect the Body and Mind?
Like marijuana, the effects of Kratom are very dose and strain dependent. The effects tend to be as follows:
- Heightened awareness and focus
- Physical pain relief, including chronic pain
- Increased energy
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Increased feelings of calmness and relaxation, and even mild euphoria
- Sleepiness or wakefulness (depending on the strain, dose, and user’s tolerance level)
Potential Side Effects and Negative Consequences
- Nausea and dizziness
- Stomach ache and constipation
- Reduced motor skills
- Constricted pupils
Again, there are a variety of desirable effects associated with Kratom, but there are potentially negative side effects that can result from taking too much.
What Happens When You Combine Marijuana and Kratom?
Now that you know how either substance can affect the body and mind by themselves, we can discuss the potential effects of combining them. Unfortunately, predicting the effects is difficult as there are so many different strains of both marijuana and Kratom. How these two substances interact also depends on how much you consume.
Generally, people who combine the two substances find that they interact with the body and mind in four different ways, depending on the amount and strain of each substance. Here are the four basic combinations and the effects that most people experience:
- Small Dose of Kratom + Medium Dose of an Energetic Marijuana Strain – Many people experience increased energy levels. You may also feel more alert and awake with one of the more energetic marijuana strains, like cannabis Sativa.
- Large to Medium Dose of Kratom + Medium Dose of a Less Energetic Marijuana Strain – Many people use this combination for pain relief and to help with insomnia. It can lead to feelings of relaxation, but you should choose one of the downer marijuana strains with less THC, like indica.
- Small Dose of Kratom + Medium Dose of a Less Energetic Marijuana Strain – This combination usually has a short but relaxing sensation. Once the feelings of relaxation have subsided, you will usually begin to feel more alert and awake.
- Large to Medium Dose of Kratom + Medium Does of an Energetic Marijuana Strain – Increased focus and energy initially, but once the effects wear off, the person will often feel calm and relaxed.
The Importance of Choosing the Right Doses, Strains, and More
Again, your experience combining the two substances depends on how much you take, what strains you use and other factors such as how tired you are and your tolerance level. Like when consuming these substances on their own, start with small doses and see how you react.
The contents of your stomach can also impact the sensations you experience, as a full stomach tends to reduce the impact of both Kratom and marijuana ingestion.
Many people also find that the effects are more enjoyable if you take marijuana first then take Kratom about 30 to 60 minutes later. If you find the combination produces undesirable side effects, try to eat some food or sleep it off.
Again, start with small doses and make sure your tolerance is at an acceptable level. You should be an experienced Kratom and marijuana user before combining the two.
So, Is it Worth Combing the Two?
There is no right or wrong answer for whether you should combine marijuana and Kratom. While it is generally safe to do so, the decision is personal and depends on your experience with either substance and comfort level with the potential effects of the combination.
With that said, the combination is growing in popularity, and it can offer benefits. Before you get started, familiarize yourself with the different Kratom and marijuana strains, as the strains you choose impact your experience when combined.
If you want a more relaxed experience, start with lower doses. If you are experienced with both substances and want pain relief and psychological benefits, like increased energy levels and creativity, you might favor high doses.
Founder of Kratom IQ; a self-improvement junkie and Kratom enthusiast. I started this website in 2015 to help people avoid the common pitfalls and mistakes with Mitragyna Speciosa, and ultimately get the most out of this amazing plant. Learn More…