If you are new to Kratom, you may not know it comes in different strains. Not only does each Kratom strain have a unique taste, smell, and appearance, but they also offer different effects, which is why many Kratom users have strains they prefer over others.
The different types of Kratom are grown in different climates and conditions. Depending on the region where the Kratom grows, the dried Kratom leaves have a specific alkaloid content that affects the body in specific ways.
While certain strains offer more calming effects when ingested, others are energizing. The type of Kratom you should choose depends on your needs and preferences. While understanding the differences between each Kratom strain helps you enjoy more tailored and specific effects, relatively few people know that you can also mix Kratom strains for an even more personalized experience.
How Can We Help?
If you are interested in learning how to mix Kratom blends, you have come to the right place! Not only will we explain why mixing Kratom strains can be so beneficial, but we also highlight the differences between some of the most popular strains and cover some of the most popular blends.
From there, we will explain how to create Kratom blends by mixing strains in a step-by-step guide.
Why Mix Strains?
1. To Achieve Specific Effects
As mentioned above, mixing Kratom strains allows you to get the desired effect from each, giving a more personalized experience. But it is not the only potential benefit of mixing Kratom strains.
2. To Help Moderate Your Tolerance to a Specific Strain
Regular Kratom users often find their preferred strain can lose some potency if they ingest it too frequently. While this can be somewhat troubling, it is simply a sign of increased tolerance towards that specific strain. Some choose to mix their favorite strain with another rather than increase the dosage and accelerate the problem.
If you take Kratom regularly and find that you don’t experience the same effects that you once did, you may want to consider mixing your preferred strain with another strain to get the effects you want.
For example, if you prefer a Red Vein strain of Kratom because of the calming effects but find that your tolerance has increased, you will need to consume more and more to experience those effects. Consider mixing your Red Vein Kratom with a milder Green Vein Kratom to counteract your increased tolerance to Red Vein Kratom without interfering with the calming side effects you are looking for. This blend works because Green Vein Kratom also tends to have a calming effect on the body and mind.
What Are the Main Kratom Strains?
Before getting into creating your own Kratom blends, it is important to have a basic understanding of the main strains.
While these strains can be grown in different areas – so there are regional sub-strains – most Kratom is typically grouped within one of three main strains:
- Red Vein Kratom – Red Vein Kratom tends to be the most popular strain. It is known for its calming effects, which explains why people often take it to help with stress and anxiety. It is also known to help people feel more relaxed physically, so they sometimes use it to help with pain and soreness. Examples include Red Borneo, Red Thai, and Red Sumatra.
- White Vein Kratom – White Vein Kratom usually has the opposite effects to Red Vein Kratom. Typically, White Vein strains are energizing, which is why people take them as a supplement to boost energy, much like the way people consume caffeine to help them wake up in the morning. Examples include White Vein Maeng Da, White Thai, and White Borneo Kratom.
- Green Vein Kratom – Green Vein Kratom tends to be a middle ground between Red and White Vein Kratom strains. It can enhance focus and productivity without overstimulating the brain. In this sense, Green Kratom can energize the mind but still help you feel physically relaxed. Many people will opt for a Green Vein Kratom to enhance their mood without feeling overly stimulated and awake. These strains include Green Bali, Green Malay, and Green Maeng Da Kratom.
Familiarize yourself with different strains by themselves before mixing them to create your own blends. Learn more about each strain, and consider trying all three before combining them.
Popular Kratom Blends
The following are some of the most popular Kratom blends. Before you begin mixing Kratom yourself, consider your preferences and needs to help you decide which is best for you.
- Red + White Vein Kratom – When mixed, Red and White Vein Kratom tend to offer the best benefits from each strain. The blend can enhance energy levels and improve mood while simultaneously helping with focus. Since it also offers pain relief and helps with muscle fatigue, many people find it useful if they are sore from physically demanding jobs.
- Red + Green Vein Kratom – If you enjoy the calming sensation you experience with Red Kratom but find that it often makes you feel overly sleepy, you may want to consider combining it with a Green Vein Kratom. While both strains help with relaxation, Green Vein Kratom tends to be mentally stimulating, preventing the drowsiness that is often associated with the ingestion of Red Vein Kratom. If you want to experience the calming effects of Red Vein Kratom but also want to remain productive and awake, this popular blend might be right for you.
- Green + White Vein Kratom – If you want to mellow out some of the mental and physical stimulation you get when consuming White Kratom on its own, combining it with Green Vein Kratom can help. Most people find this blend helps them feel more awake and focused.
While it is possible, mixing Red Vein and White Vein Kratom strains is not overly popular because the two strains tend to deliver opposite effects, so few people are looking for both at the same time.
If you are looking for the relaxing benefits of a Red Vein Kratom, it is also unlikely that you want to feel physically stimulated at the same time.
How Do You Mix Strains to Create Kratom Blends?
Now that you know a little bit more about what Kratom blends can offer, we will offer our straightforward guide to mixing Kratom strains and creating your custom blends:
1. Select Your Desired Strains – Choose the strains that match your personal preferences. As mentioned, it is always a good idea to try the strains on their own before you combine them.
2. Accurately Measure the Kratom – When consuming Kratom, dose control is critical. It is important to make sure that you are accurately measuring any Kratom you plan on using in a blend. When starting with blends, we recommend a perfect 50-50 split. Once you have more experience with mixing strains, you can begin to play around with the ratios and find the exact balance that works for you.
3. Thoroughly Mix the Strains – While you have some flexibility in how you go about mixing your Kratom strains, we recommend combining them in a large mixing bowl. If you have one, consider using a clean whisk to help you create a more uniform mixture. A fork or spoon will also work, but make sure you take your time and thoroughly mix your strains. Make sure that everything you use to mix your Kratom strains is clean and dry.
Avoid using an electric mixer or blender as this could potentially damage the Kratom. The heat generated by these appliances can even reduce the potency of your Kratom. These appliances can also be messy, so you risk stains and losing some of your Kratom powder.
4. Store Your New Kratom Blend Properly – One of the easiest ways to ensure your Kratom remains potent is to store it correctly. A dry, air-tight container is usually the best option. Once your Kratom blend is in the correct container, store it in a dark and dry area with a cool and consistent temperature.
How to Consume Kratom Blends
Once you have created a Kratom blend, it is time to try it out. You can take Kratom blends like you would take a pure strain. You can add your Kratom blend to your favorite beverage, take as a Toss n’ wash or make a Kratom tea by blending it with water.
Some enthusiasts will even make their own Kratom capsules and fill them with their own custom blends.
Mixing Kratom strains can be an exciting way to learn more about different strains and how they interact. More importantly, mixing different strains will help you personalize the effects of Kratom ingestion, so you can experience the benefits you want.
As mentioned above, mixing the best Kratom strains allows you to get the desirable effects from each, giving a more personalized experience, but it is not the only potential benefit; it can also help reduce tolerance to a specific strain.
When done responsibly, combining Kratom strains can be exciting and fun. Experiment with different strains and ratios until you have found the perfect blend for your needs and preferences!
Founder of Kratom IQ; a self-improvement junkie and Kratom enthusiast. I started this website in 2015 to help people avoid the common pitfalls and mistakes with Mitragyna Speciosa, and ultimately get the most out of this amazing plant. Learn More…