Kratom can be consumed in a variety of ways. While regular powder is extremely popular in the form of teas and capsules, some of the more experienced Kratom users have started to embrace Kratom extracts.
In simple terms, Kratom extracts are concentrated forms of Kratom alkaloids that offer convenience and increased potency. While Kratom extracts take several forms, Kratom resin is becoming the most popular home-made option. This distilled and extremely concentrated form of Kratom requires a somewhat difficult process to produce, which partially explains why it is usually favored by more experienced Kratom users.
To help take some of the mystery out of Kratom resin, we are going to explain what exactly it is. From there, we will go over some of the reasons why people choose to make their own Kratom resin at home. Once we have explained everything you need to know about Kratom resin, we will explain how you can make it for yourself!
- What is Kratom Resin?
- Why Make Your Own Kratom Resin?
- How is Kratom Resin Used?
- Storing Kratom Resin
- How to Make Your Own Kratom Resin
- Final Words
What is Kratom Resin?
Kratom resin is one of the three most common types of Kratom extract. Unlike the other extract forms, which are water-based, Kratom resin is semi-solid and almost has a paste-like consistency.
Kratom resin is so concentrated that it contains very little liquid. Aside from its thick consistency, another way Kratom resin differs from other types of Kratom extracts is the fact that it is extremely potent and involves a fairly labor-intensive extraction process.
The extraction process involved in making Kratom resin removes most of the plant matter from the substance, which leaves behind a highly concentrated dose of the active ingredient found in Kratom – Kratom alkaloids.
This highly concentrated Kratom extract can be used in a variety of ways, but it is typically used for the same reasons as Kratom capsules, powders, and teas. Despite its more concentrated form, Kratom resin is still used for medicinal, therapeutic, and recreational reasons.
Why Make Your Own Kratom Resin?
Now that you know what Kratom resin is, we can go over some of the reasons why Kratom enthusiasts choose to make their own, rather than purchase pre-made Kratom resin from a Kratom vendor.
Store-bought Kratom Resin Tends to Be Expensive and Difficult to Find
One of the main reasons why many people choose to make Kratom resin and other Kratom extracts at home is for the simple fact that Kratom extract products are really expensive and somewhat difficult to find.
Some of the most reputable Kratom vendors will only offer Kratom in traditional forms, like dried powders and powder-filled capsules. Even when they do carry Kratom extracts, they tend to be very expensive. While most Kratom extract products are expensive, Kratom resins are particularly costly, as the manufacturing process can be very time-consuming and complicated. These manufacturing costs are then passed onto the consumers, who end up paying an inflated price for something they could really make themselves.
Another reason why pre-made Kratom extracts can be difficult to find is the simple fact that the demand is not nearly as high as it is for basic Kratom powders. Given that simple dried Kratom, powders sell better and are much less expensive, it is no surprise that many of the most reputable and reliable Kratom vendors choose not to carry Kratom extract products, such as tinctures and resins.
Making Your Own Kratom Resin Allows You to Choose the Strain
Since pre-made Kratom resin is difficult to find, there are also issues relating to the number of available strains. In most cases, only the most popular Kratom strains are available in resin form. If you are looking for the specific effects you would experience with a certain type of strain, especially if that strain is less common, it can be extremely difficult to find a resin that is made with that type of Kratom.
On the other hand, making your own Kratom resin allows you to choose a specific Kratom strain. You can choose your favorite strain, or multiple strains, and make a Kratom resin that will produce your desired effects.
You Have Control Over Quality and Quantity
Another advantage of making your own Kratom resin is the simple fact that you can be certain that the resin contains Kratom of a certain quality and quantity. Since there are a variety of reputable Kratom vendors that clearly state how and where their Kratom powders are grown and harvested, you can make a Kratom resin using quality Kratom powders that you trust. You can also control how much Kratom is actually in your Kratom resin, which can be somewhat of a mystery when you are purchasing pre-made Kratom resin.
When you make your own Kratom resin, you also have full control over what other ingredients are used during the refining process. This means you will not have to worry about impurities, preservatives, and other unnecessary ingredients that could potentially impact the quality of your Kratom resin.
How is Kratom Resin Used?
Kratom resin is a surprisingly versatile substance and it can be taken in a variety of ways. While some will just eat it directly, the bitter taste and thick texture will be off-putting to most people.
You can perform what is sometimes referred to as the “toss and wash” method. Essentially, you swallow the Kratom resin and then immediately drink some water or a pleasant tasting juice to help disguise the flavor. Basically, this is the same idea as “chasing” an unpleasant tasting shot of liquor with soda or juice.
An even more popular way to consume Kratom resin is to mix it with a hot beverage, such as tea or coffee. The warm temperature of the beverage helps soften and melt the resin. The relatively low heat levels of the beverage will not impact the alkaloid content and the mixture is easy to make and quite enjoyable. Since the work is already done when you have a Kratom resin, you can simply drop the desired amount into a warm beverage, perform a quick stir, and then you are ready to go. It’s essentially a convenient and faster way to make Kratom tea.
Storing Kratom Resin
As with storing Kratom in any form, you should always store your Kratom resin away from UV light. For this reason, an opaque or dark-colored container is ideal. The container should also be airtight, as airborne contaminants and even excess oxygen exposure can result in a loss of potency.
Once you have selected an appropriate container, you should make sure it is kept in a location that has a stable and cool temperature. A cupboard that is not near a heat source or air-conditioning vent should work.
How to Make Your Own Kratom Resin
What You Need:
- High-quality Kratom powder in your preferred strain
- A kitchen scale
- Mild strength and natural acids, like lemon juice, lime juice, or white vinegar
- Clean water
- A freezer-friendly mixing bowl
- Paper coffee filters, cheesecloth, or a very fine reusable strainer
- A freezer, stove-top element, and an oven (preferably all three will be clean and free from excess odors)
- A dark, airtight container for storing the finished resin
- Measure your desired quantity of Kratom powder using a kitchen scale or a clean measuring cup. A scale works better, as weight tends to be a more accurate method of measurement than volume. Make a note of the amount used.
- Add the Kratom powder to the mixing bowl and slowly add water until the powder is just barely covered.
- Slowly mix the Kratom powder and water. Once mixed, add your preferred acidic component. Continue stirring until everything is completely mixed together.
- Cover the mixture and let it steep overnight. After enough time has elapsed, place the covered mixing bowl in the freezer until it has frozen solid.
- Bring a small pot of water to a light boil. Once the water is boiling, add the frozen mixture. At this point, you can add more acid to the boiling water.
- After adding more lemon juice, lime juice, or vinegar, reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering.
- Wait until the mixture has completely thawed and begun stirring. Continue until roughly one-quarter of the water has evaporated. At this point, remove it from the heat source and allow it to cool.
- Pour the mixture through your chosen strainer and back into the mixing bowl. Leave the bowl on the counter and let it sit until about half of the strained mixture has evaporated.
- Once evaporated, the mixture should look like a damp powder with a small pool of liquid. Pour the contents of the mixing bowl back into a saucepan. Add more water and acid and bring everything to a simmer.
- Repeat the straining and cooling process.
- Preheat your oven to 150-200°. Place the contents of the saucepan into a small, oven-friendly dish and put it in the oven. Keep an eye on things, as the remaining liquid will begin to evaporate.
- Once you are left with a thick, concentrated-looking paste, you have made Kratom resin. You should remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, measure the weight of your freshly made Kratom resin (be sure to subtract the weight of the empty container). When calculated against the weight of the original Kratom powder, you will be able to discover the concentration of your Kratom resin in the same way extract grading is calculated.
While it certainly takes a bit of time and effort, making your own Kratom resin gives you control over the quality, and it can save you a significant amount of money compared to buying pre-made resins.
As with any form of Kratom, make sure you source your Kratom from a reputable vendor and practice discipline and dose-control when using resins for the first time.
Founder of Kratom IQ; a self-improvement junkie and Kratom enthusiast. I started this website in 2015 to help people avoid the common pitfalls and mistakes with Mitragyna Speciosa, and ultimately get the most out of this amazing plant. Learn More…